Inside the Newsroom @ Chelsea, Dexter

The official blog for The Chelsea Standard and Dexter Leader


Thursday, December 24, 2009

Six Christmases

All of the hustle and bustle of the holiday season is finally catching up to me. After standing in long lines at the store, spending way too much money on gifts and attempting to wrap said gifts for countless relatives, I'm exhausted, broke and sick. The sickness I can attribute to my blitz 72 hour visit to Texas to see my mom and all my friends. Everyday I was up at 8:30 a.m. to spend the majority of the day with mom. In the evening, I would go out to a bar with my friends and hang out. This, of course, would end up going on until 3 a.m. sometimes. Upon returning to Michigan on Tuesday evening, the lack of sleep finally caught up to me. It is the season of giving, so someone must have sneezed in a Christmas card envelope, sealed it up and shipped it my way. Thanks! Nothing like a nice pounding headache to get you in the spirit of the holiday.
But for me, this year it's not ONE Christmas, it's a whopping six! Yes, six fun-filled chances to hear the same stories told over and over again, and six chances to listen to relatives bicker over who is going to cook dinner.
For anyone who has seen the holiday movie "Four Christmases" starring Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn, it fails in comparison to my Christmas. We kick things off at 6 p.m. tonight with Christmas Eve Mass. The mass is the highlight of the evening because it's nice to see people come celebrate the true meaning of the holiday.
But then it's off to dad's, where he is sure to grill me and my brother about our band, and why my sister chose to stay in Texas with my mom for Christmas instead of coming to his place (thanks sis!).
On Christmas morning, it's off to dad's again for breakfast before heading to my aunt's for lunch and gift exchange. In the evening, my girlfriend and I will head to her mom's house for dinner before heading back to our apartment for our own private gift exchange.
On Dec. 26, we wrap everything up with a visit to the GF's dad's house and another stop to visit friends from Chicago.
Of course I can't complain. After all, this is the season to spread glad tidings ... and maybe some germs.
Merry Christmas ya'll!

Daniel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]