Inside the Newsroom @ Chelsea, Dexter

The official blog for The Chelsea Standard and Dexter Leader


Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The dark side has sucked me in ...

When I entered journalism school (or J-school as we in the field call it) seven years ago, one of the first things that my professors hammered into my head was to avoid those public relations majors, or "PRs" across the hall. All they serve to do is corrupt our young minds and coerce us over to their side, ignoring all the skills that create a true journalist.

Some of my friends, even a dorm roommate, ignored my professors' warnings and switched their majors halfway through the semester. Some even waited until their last semester of college to pull a 180 and go over to "the dark side." I guess they were afraid what graduating actually meant -- finding a job.

For me, the extent of my education in public relations work rested in one BORING advertising class I took my junior year. I remember the textbook was Latin to me, and half of the time we sat analyzing British commercials to determine how effective they were on the target audience. Of course, every now and then, one of the commercials would be a little risque with half-naked men and women blabbering on about some new milk product or clothing detergent. I guess the ad worked for all of us college students since that's what I took away from commerical analysis 101.

You are probably asking yourself, "Where is he going with all of this?" The answer, dear readers, is simply this: About three months ago I began re-evaluating my career track, and, after many a sleepless night, decided now is a good time to apply for graduate school.

I know, just like my family said, I'm crazy for taking on such a huge task on top of running two community newspapers right? Well, this week I found out I was accepted to Wayne State in their Master's of Public Relations program. I am quite excited. I have begun looking at class schedules and I will begin my first class in the fall.

Before I get ahead of myself, yes I will continue my coverage in the Chelsea and Dexter communities and I look forward to more great stories in the future.

Regards!
Daniel

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa A said...

CONGRATS, Daniel. That's terrific. I wish you the best in the next phase of your educational journey. It's this thing called life.

May 13, 2010 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think the dark side just got a little brighter! Best wishes on your new educational adventure.

May 15, 2010 at 5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]