Inside the Newsroom @ Chelsea, Dexter

The official blog for The Chelsea Standard and Dexter Leader


Monday, February 1, 2010

Launching "Adopt-a-farm" series

Beginning this week, readers in the Heritage Newspapers western region coverage area will be offered a rare treat -- a look inside a real working farm. That's right folks, our award-winning "Adopt-a-farm" series is back.
In years past, this series was written by our former reporter, Ed Freundl. Ed is now off to bigger and better things, and it's now time for a new reporter to take up the challenge that is farming.
Back in 2009, I was approached by my boss, Michelle Rogers, and my colleague, Lisa Allmendinger, about the prospect of becoming the new "ag" reporter.
At first I was hesitant. Growing up in large cities most of my life, I didn't know the first thing about farming. In fact, the only time I have ever been on a farm was when my fourth grade class took a trip to a local dairy farm and my classmates and I got to milk the cow.
Since I didn't know much about farming, I wasn't sure if this was the best assignment for me. And when I was told I could pick a farm that interested me, my first question was, "what about a bee farm?"
I always heard those were cool.
Of course that suggestion didn't fly.
Instead, I was instructed to contact the Washtenaw County Farm Bureau, who could help pair me with a local farm. The result is what you will see in the coming months published online and in the pages of Heritage Newspapers.
Beginning this month, I am on a mission to better understand the intricacies of sheep farming. I will be visiting with Ken and Bonnie Hieber of Freedom Township once a month for the next several months as their sheep farm plans get underway.
Last week was my first experience to get up close and personal with the sheep. It was definitely interesting to see the sheep shearing process. Equally amusing was the look on Ken and Bonnie's faces when I asked if they raised both sheep and lambs (which I quickly learned were the same animal).
It will definitely be an adventure for this city-dweller to head into the unknown world of farmers. Truly it is terra incognita. Hopefully by the end of the series I will emerge unscathed and a little more knowledgeable about farming in Michigan.

1 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Knox said...

I loved Ed's work on the Adopt-A-Farm series in the past, and am glad it will be returning this year!

Good luck taking the deep dive into ag reporting Daniel.

I know my wife and her fiber friends (spinners, knitters, weavers) will enjoy an inside look at the Hieber's sheep farm. There is actually a pretty large community of folks in Western Washtenaw who spin and knit with animal fibers.

The Spinner's Flock meets at Beach Middle School or the WSEC every month, and I'm always amazed at the number of cars, people, and projects.

Good choice Daniel!

February 5, 2010 at 6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]