Inside the Newsroom @ Chelsea, Dexter

The official blog for The Chelsea Standard and Dexter Leader


Monday, April 2, 2012

Too bad more businesses weren't open yesterday in Dexter

It's always perplexing when I cover a really neat event, like yesterday's visit from Michigan Geocaching, and none of the downtown businesses are open.

The event brought dozens of people to town, all of whom were walking all over the place, which is kind of the point to geocaching in the first place.

The thought didn't occur to ask them if they noticed or were bothered by being unable to access much of the village's quaint downtown district, but I did notice Saturday when I was in town and wanted a fancy cup of coffee that Joe & Rosies closes at 6 p.m. and a trip to Foggy Bottom proved fruitless as well.

I don't expect a coffee shop to be open until 9 p.m. on any given day in such a low population density area, but 6:30 p.m. doesn't seem like reaching too far on a Saturday, and if I were a business owner I'd want my shop to be open when a bunch of people who, in part, have made tourism and urban adventure a sport are in my area of business.

This isn't a new topic. I've had this conversation with many small business owners, not just in Dexter, and the reply is always that they could open but nobody would come.

My response is still the same: people aren't going to know that you've expanded your hours the first time you do it, because you've built up an expectation that you're typically closed at a certain time, but eventually that expectation will change and that new block of time that you've expanded your hours of operation with will be consistently profitable.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was the pot of coffee I made at home to perk myself up Saturday evening so I could fully enjoy the Encore's "Godspell" without joining the ensemble with my fatigue-born snoring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]