Inside the Newsroom @ Chelsea, Dexter

The official blog for The Chelsea Standard and Dexter Leader


Thursday, November 1, 2012

Allow me to introduce myself …

Hi! I'm Kathleen Murphy, the new editor of The Chelsea Standard and Dexter Leader.

I am a proud graduate of Central Michigan University — fire up Chips! My degree is in broadcast journalism and political science, but life took a turn and I've spent my career working in the print media as a reporter and editor in communities in Lapeer, Macomb and Sanilac counties. I've covered everything from local government and schools, to the police beat and community events. My most recent assignment was on the copydesk at The Oakland Press in Pontiac, one of our sister publications.

I have always enjoyed small towns, perhaps because I grew up in the tiny town of Ubly in Michigan's Thumb. Ubly is best known as the home of the Ubly Dragway. Invariably, someone always mentions that to me and I sheepishly have to admit never having been there! As a child, playing outside in the summer, I remember hearing the noise at the track across town (which really wasn't that far), but we never went there. My dad preferred the Tigers and puttering in his garden.

Outside of work, my life revolves around my family. My husband Dave and I have two boys, Nicholas and Ethan. Nicholas is in the sixth grade and loves anything to do with football, especially Michigan (my Chips haven't won him over yet). He also plays in a youth football league, and takes part in organized wrestling, lacrosse and baseball. Ethan is a fourth grader and is our extreme sports enthusiast. His passion is skateboarding. When the weather is bad, he takes his board and heads to the basement — always with a helmet and pads! Ethan also loves snowboarding and cycling.

As a family, we are passionate about our dogs. Our Sophie, is a sweet 9-year-old black Labrador retriever we adopted from the Lapeer County Animal Shelter when she was about 9 months old. We also have a 3-year-old miniature dachshund, Bo, that we adopted from a neighbor. His full name is Bo Blue, courtesy of all my boys. At some point, I think we may have a dog named Brady!

I am excited to get to know the people of Chelsea and Dexter, and spend time in the communities.
Please feel free to email me at kmurphy@heritage.com or call (734) 429-7380. You can also follow me on Twitter at @kathleeneditor or on Facebook. I would love to chat with you, answer any questions you may have and get your story ideas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]