Inside the Newsroom @ Chelsea, Dexter

The official blog for The Chelsea Standard and Dexter Leader


Monday, March 1, 2010

Flying the unfriendly skies

This past week has been a little rough for myself. Two weeks ago, I received the horrible news that my grandma on my dad's side passed away in California. She was 82 years old. At this point, we aren't sure what happend. Needless to say, I had to book the quickest flight out of Michigan to catch the funeral, which took place Friday.
Flying has never been one of my favorite things to do. Other than being the quickest way to visit with relatives on the other side of the country or down south in Texas, I would choose a car or a train over an airplane any day. For starters, they cram you in these little teenie tiny spaces that leave no leg room.
And, if you're lucky enough to board a plane that still has first class, you get to walk past all the business elite suits sipping on their wine and champaigne and snacking on a fish dinner while you are regulated to row 24-E at the back of the plane next to a mom with two screaming babies.
If that doesn't sell you on the excitement of air travel, try holding your tongue as the person in front of you, who seems to be oblivious to the fact that we're all crammed into a flying sardine can, reclines his chair up against your knees.
Oh, and by the way, if you are one of the unlucky travelers who is running late and did not stop to grab something to eat before your 3 hour and 45 minute flight, you can forget filling up on airline peanuts and soda pop.
That's right, apparently the economy is so bad that airlines no longer offer their free bags of peanuts. Instead, flight attendents try to pawn off $6 canisters of Pringles and Oreos. I guess if I was hungry enough, I would take the bait.
I never understood why airlines served peanuts anyway. I go months at a time without eating peanuts and as soon as I step on a plane all of a sudden these crewmen think, "this guy looks like he needs some peanuts." What makes them think, 'We're in the air! Get them peanuts! Hurry!'
Luckly the flight remained relatively calm and we got to our destination at a relatively decent time (after sitting on the plane in Chicago for an hour due to mechnical problems).
It's not all bad, but it's certainly not an efficient way of traveling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]