Inside the Newsroom @ Chelsea, Dexter

The official blog for The Chelsea Standard and Dexter Leader


Monday, March 8, 2010

Where is the target?

So there I was Friday night, sitting in my car idling at a red light and happily going over the lyrics in my head for my band's gig when all of a sudden the truck behind me decides to plow into my car. I don't use the term "plow" lightly. This guy, who had a yellow light mind you, decided his life was much more important than anyone else's, and decided to gun it to beat the red light. Well, when he did so, he ended up practically destroying my car. The bumper was torn off and the entire backside was smashed in. The trunk won't even close without a rope to tie it down. That was not the way I wanted to start my weekend.
Fortunately no one got hurt. And, despite my family trying to cheer me up, the accident crushed my spirit for the night's show. I did my best to get through the set, but instead of hanging out with friends afterward, I just went home and crawled into bed.
This is not the first time someone has decided that my nice blue car, affectionately known as "The Extreme," needed a few bumps, scratches and dents.
Since moving to Michigan in 2007, every single winter someone has slammed their car into mine. Last year I was unlucky enough to be driving by a K-mart parking lot when some new teen driver pulled out right in front of me and slammed into my front bumper, ripping it from its hinges.
Then, three months ago, a relative backed into my car while it was parked in her driveway. The damages? $1,000!
But, of course in this great state of Michigan, you all have something called "No fault." So in other words, take heed drivers, you can drive your car straight into someone else's if you feel compelled to and Michigan will tell you, "That's OK son, here in Michigan no one is at fault."
My insurance begs to differ with this "no fault" law.
Since moving here, I've had to pay more out of pocket for someone else wrecking my car than I ever had to while living in Texas.
"No fault" is the biggest scam I've ever heard. If you hit, touch, ding, scrape, bang or otherwise affect someone else's car in any form, it's your fault and you should have to pay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]